....no Veggie Tales? What?! No "Larry Boy"? No "Cheeseburger Song"? No talking, walking tomatoes without arms or legs? What a travesty that would be!!
Sounds silly doesn't it? Yes, we love the Jesus lovin' veggies in our house, but a travesty? Probably not.
But now, imagine this...
...being imprisoned, burned, hung, beheaded, crucified, and worse IN FRONT OF YOUR CHILDREN for having a Veggie Tales book in your home. Why? Because Larry talks about God. For the record, I have not heard of this happening over our cucumber friend, but stories similar to this happen EVERY SINGLE MINUTE of our days. People being tortured over having a CORNER of a page of a Bible, or because they were heard whispering to their children about God's love for them.
Just because we don't want to hear about it, or see pictures of it, doesn't mean it isn't happening. This happened to close to 156,000 Christians in 1998. I cannot wrap my brain around what the number would be today.
What got me thinking on this? People have been posting the last couple of days on FB what they are thankful for. I tried all day yesterday to think of something amusing or meaningful to post, but I just couldn't. They all seemed insignificant. People are also posting opinions about the upcoming election and political/religious views on everything from the hurricane to what the candidate's wives wear. It gets mind-numbing scrolling through all of it. However, through it all I have found my significant thing to be grateful for.
I am
beyond THANKFUL for the political/religious posts. "Why?", you ask? Because it means we still have freedom of religion in this country. And if you think God has no place in politics, you better think again. Verses such as, "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord..." Psalm 33:12 plus many, many more tell us so. Look at all the countries that have leaders that have banned Bibles and other "Christian" paraphernalia? Do you think the people living in those countries think politics and religion don't cross??
Besides in the political arena, what about our day-to-day lives? Are we taking our freedom for granted? Are we trying so hard to keep our "religious" views to ourselves that we are forgetting the people that fought for them, are still fighting for them? No, I don't mean shouting from the rooftop that you are Baptist, or Catholic, or even a Muslim... those are, afterall,
just man made religions. What about your relationship/love affair with the Almighty God?? What about HIM? Our freedom of religion allows us to share what HE does
for us, is doing
in us, and is doing
through us. Don't be so concerned with keeping your views private that it becomes denial, "..but whoever denies me before men, I will also deny before my Father in heaven.." Matthew 10:33. So maybe it IS time to "shout it from the rooftops" what your Lord means to you?
"Love the Lord with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. these commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home, and when you walk along the road. When you lie down and when you get up...." Deuteronomy 6:5-8
I CANNOT imagine not being able to sing "Jesus Loves Me" with my children, hear about their stories and see the excitement on their faces from Vacation Bible School or church camp, go to church PUBLICLY, dance around my kitchen to "Funky Jesus Music", encourage a friend with a scripture or a worship song I think would uplift them, and no, I cannot imagine not being able to sit on my couch with a little (or two) in my lap and watch Veggie Tales.
No comments:
Post a Comment